[rancid] problem with CSS order

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Jan 21 18:26:45 UTC 2011

Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 05:53:34PM +0100, Martin Bj?rkman:
> Hi!
>
> I'm having a very interesting problem with my rancid installation. It works
> really well for the other models but this one Cisco CSS11501 is giving me a
> headache :)
>
> Basically, the problem being is that it doesn't take much care in regards to
> the order in which it presents the information within a VIP for example,
> which means I will get a rancid mail every time looking much like this:
>
> --
>     content XXX_S_CMS
>       vip address xx.xx.xx.xx
> -     protocol tcp
>       port 80
> +     protocol tcp
>       add service XXX-SI-CMS01
>       active
> --
>
> same thing happens with the routes where they get presented in different
> order every time..
> I've really tried googling the issue but came up empty. Is this a known
> problem and if so how do I solve it?
> Is there a setting in the CSS to remedy this or is it possible to "sort" the
> text before comitting to CVS?

its occured a few times with specific IOS versions.  its an error in the
nv generator and is often corrected when reported to the Cisco TAC.  It
may already be corrected in a more recent version of the IOS for this
device.  please check on that.  the alternative is adding code to parse
configuration related to this "sub-config mode" and sort the contents.