[rancid] Issue with HP Procurve 2910-48G al

TAN Lists lists at theatticnetwork.net
Tue Apr 17 11:02:23 UTC 2012

Hey All,

I'm fairly new to Rancid and inherited a setup with mainly HP switches. All
of them work fine but 2 new switches i just added which are HP Procurve
2910-48G al (J9147A) running version W.14.49

When i add them to RANCID i get timeout errors in the logs, but clogin
works fine to log me in.

A similar issue is described here
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rancid/users/5203 (but its not
exactly the same)

In debug mode, i get a login prompt, then nothing

Switches use TACACS on the same server as RANCID - all switches use SSH

Troubleshooting:
/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin clswitch1
This works - logs me straight in as the RANCID user and i have full
privileges and can run commands

/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin -c "sh run" clswitch1
clswitch1# terminal length 0
Invalid input: 0
clswitch1# logout
Error: TIMEOUT reached

Then drops me back to a shell (I think this is where the whole issue lies)

When i add the switch to the main config of RANCID
clswitch1:hp:up

When i run /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run i get

<OMITTED>
Trying to get all of the configs.
clswitch1 clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
clswitch1: missed cmd(s): show tech transceivers,show module,show config
status,show system-inform
Trying to get all of the configs.
clswitch1 clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
ation,show system information,show stack,show version,show flash,write
term,show config files
clswitch1: End of run not found
;
=====================================
<OMITTED>
Rinse repeat for all 4 rounds

I looked into using hlogin and when specifying the password, it still hung
at the enter password prompt

I really could use some help on this, I've been researching all done and
can't get anywhere

I'm also finding that if i play with this too much, eventually the switch
locks me out (SSH connection returns identification failure). If i reload
it - its fine - if i dont initiate connections from RANCID its fine for
over 72 hours, but the second i start doing logins through RANCID, the
lockouts start - which is really weird

I read some things about stacking being an issue, so i have changed the
config to "no stack" (we dont need it anyway)

Thoughts much appreciated guys, i look forward to your thoughts to get to
the bottom of this one

Thanks