[rancid] Linux Networking Support

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Aug 16 16:15:27 UTC 2012

Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 08:44:12AM -0700, Lance Vermilion:
> John H,
>
> I recall years back that you had clogin or another login script adjusted to
> support Linux.
>
> A couple of questions?
> 1. Does it still have support the Linux login prompt (I know F5 BigIP is
> very similar but I recall you doing a mod to clogin instead of creating
> something new)?

i think hlogin would be the one to use, to avoid screen handling output.
but I havent fooled with the idea much.

> 2. Did you ever create a lrancid to collect basics?

nope; we discussed it a bit, but thats as far as we'd gone.

frankly, netbsd has daily/weekly/monthly/security scripts that are quite
nice and useful.  one thing the security script does is use a changelist
file for a list of files it will backup and each file is separate vs being
rolled into one as rancid would do, and it sends diffs of the files, a
few of which it will "filter", and the backups are then local to the
machine (which seems both positive and negative).

this is one solution, not within rancid, but might be useful in combination.