[rancid] jlogin not using ssh key

Hinote, Willie Scott. (MSFC-IS40)[NICS] willie.s.hinote at nasa.gov
Wed Nov 28 16:53:22 UTC 2012

I have setup SSH keys on a Juniper device. The keys work when I SSH as the RANCID user to the Juniper but do not work when I execute rancid-run or execute jlogin without the -p flag. I have modified my .cloginrc to use an identity file.

.cloginrc
--
add identity        X.X.X.X /opt/rancid/.ssh/id_rsa

Only the add identity line exists for this IP. No other add lines are in the .cloginrc.

When I execute:
/usr/libexec/rancid/jlogin -f /opt/rancid/.cloginrc X.X.X.X

I receive error:
Error: no password for router in /opt/rancid/.cloginrc. X.X.X.X

When I execute:
/usr/libexec/rancid/rancid-run JUNIPER

I see errors in logs:
X.X.X.X jlogin error: Error: no password for X.X.X.X in /opt/rancid/.cloginrc.
X.X.X.X: missed cmd(s) ***Lots of commands***
X.X.X.X: End of run not found

If I execute:
/usr/libexec/rancid/jlogin -p router X.X.X.X

It logs me in with no errors.

Are there any other options that need to be added to the .cloginrc file? Has anyone else successfully used SSH keys with Juniper devices?

I appreciate the assistance.