[rancid] More information in the subject of the config diff mail

Stephan Seitz stse+rancid at fsing.rootsland.net
Wed Dec 4 21:11:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 09:56:37PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Is it possible to put the hostnames in the subject as well? Or would
>> this be a very big code change?
>diff mails are per-group and not per-device and the group is mentioned
>in the mail title.

Yes, I know. The problem is: if I make the change I don’t really need the
mail. But if I didn’t make the change, a single line change in the
configuration of one host may get lost if there are bigger changes in
other hosts as well.
So at least I would be glad if I can see the hostnames in the subject
line.

>I can't deal with 400 diff mails after every run or 400 hostnames in the
>subject so both of those approaches are futile. rancid's current setup

You’re right and I don’t say that this change would help everyone.
A configuration option would be nice, so everyone can choose.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse at fsing.rootsland.net |