[rancid] Explain email error

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 22:57:53 UTC 2013

On 29/09/2013 00:30, Ryan Milton wrote:
> I have had quite a time getting my HP Procurve switches to work with
> rancid. Long story short, this test works:
>
> /usr/lib/rancid/bin/hlogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc <device>
>

> I get into the devices from the cli.
>
> When I just let rancid contact the devices on its own, then I get this
> email, which makes me think there is a permissions error (?):
>
> The following routers have not been successfully contacted for
> more than 24 hours.
> -rw-r----- 1 rancid rancid 0 Sep 27 10:09 94.229.14.250
>
> On the other hand, when I look in my logs, the message is simply that
> rancid couldn't login.
>
> (?!?!) clogin error: Error: Couldn't login
> <device>: missed cmd(s): show stack,show module,show flash,show
> version,show system-information,write term,show system information
>
> This is the eternal issue! Everytime I think I've got it: boom! Failure

You are running hlogin. rancid-run is launching clogin.

That is incorrect and is a data error. Please provide the exact line in
router.db for that device (make sure you check all your groups, you may
have it defined in two places); your complete rancid.conf; and whether
/var/lib/rancid/ truly is rancid's home directory per /etc/passwd

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com