[rancid] xrrancid vs. IOS-XR on Cisco ASR9000 (ASR9K)

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Oct 14 15:05:56 UTC 2014

Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:04:24AM +0200, Buchan Milne:
> The problem seems to stem from the following configuration we had on our
> IOS-XR boxes:
>
> line default
>  cli whitespace completion
>
> (which completes commands when you hit space, rather than requiring tab)
>

> This seems to be confusing xrrancid, as I was getting lines like this
> from the debug output:
>
> HIT COMMAND:RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ROUTERNAME#terminalRP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ROUTERNAME#terminal execRP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ROUTERNAME#terminal exec promptRP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ROUTERNAME#terminal exec prompt no-timestamp
>

> Having compared the output to a router running IOS, I saw that the prompt wasn't repeating.
>
> After disabling 'cli whitespace completion', the debug logs look like this:
>
> HIT COMMAND:RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:NBSC-TI-PR-OMICRON-00#terminal exec prompt no-timestamp
>     In FilterAll: RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:NBSC-TI-PR-OMICRON-00#terminal exec prompt no-timestamp
>

> And now the run completes with all commands and output in 22s.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems Cisco professional services likes to enable this feature by default. It would be nice if xrrancid could be improved to work with this feature enabled.

given that the entire command is there, with no completion required,
it should not have output/printed anything.  This would be difficult to
filter.  if they love it so much, perhaps they will open a DDTS to have
it fixed?  or, you, as the customer, can forbid them from enabling it.