[rancid] Rancid backup problem for Arista 7500

Jaynee Shah jayneejshah21 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 22:46:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

We recently started deploying Arista 7504 switches, with dual supervisor
modules. Rancid backup won't work for the switches.

*Here is the error message*:

=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
*couldn't compile regular expression pattern: parentheses () not balanced*
    while executing
"expect {
            -re "\b+"                           { exp_continue }
            -re "^\[^\n\r *]*$reprompt"         { send_user --
"$expect_out(buffer)"
                                                }
            -re "^\[^\n\r]*$reprom..."
    (procedure "run_commands" line 27)
    invoked from within
"run_commands $prompt $command"
    ("foreach" body line 186)
    invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
    set router [string tolower $router]
    # attempt at platform switching.
    set platform ""
    send_user ..."
    (file "/usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin" line 740)
switch1: missed cmd(s): dir flash:,show env all,show inventory,show
extensions,show boot-config,show version,show boot-extensions,show
running-config
switch1: End of run not found
!

*clogin to the switch works fine though*.

rancid at net-server:~$ bin/clogin switch1
switch1
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid switch1
Password:
switch1(s1)>enable
Password:
switch1(s1)#
switch1(s1)#exit
Connection to switch1 closed.

Does this look like a problem with the hostname itself? The switch has
switch1(s1) or switch1(s2) prompt, depending on which supervisor is the
active one. Here is a similar previous thread I found:
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2014-May/007644.html

Let me know if anyone has experienced the similar issue. If so, what needs
to be done to resolve this?

Thanks.