[rancid] Stuck on a fresh install.. empty logs etc.

Jeff MacDonald jeff at terida.com
Tue Jun 23 19:13:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

I actually installed Rancid over 5 years ago… and its time for a fresh install. It’s still beats me up pretty bad :)

I’m installing from source on Ubuntu Trusty.

I’m trying to configure this for a Dell Power Connect 5448 and a Juniper SSG-5. I recalled in the past that drancid was needed. Going without that assumption this time.

Here is my .cloginrc

=======
add user firewall1.toronto.terida.net rancid
add password firewall1.toronto.terida.net BEEFCAKE
add method firewall1.toronto.terida.net ssh

add user switch1.toronto.terida.net rancid
add password switch1.toronto.terida.net BEEFCAKE
add method switch1.toronto.terida.net telnet
add autoenable switch1.toronto.terida.net {1}
========

And here is my router.db

switch1.toronto.terida.net:smc:up
firewall1.toronto.terida.net:netscreen:up

=========

rancid at default-ubuntu-1404:/usr/local/rancid/var$ rm logs/*;rancid-run
rancid at default-ubuntu-1404:/usr/local/rancid/var$ vim logs/terida.20150623.185731

starting: Tue Jun 23 18:57:31 UTC 2015

ending: Tue Jun 23 18:57:31 UTC 2015

my rancid.conf is pretty plain right now. I setup a LIST_OF_GROUPS and left the rest as default for now.

Cool eh?

Not sure next steps.

— Jeff MacDonald