[rancid] fresh rancid 3.2 install

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 07:46:33 UTC 2015

On 25/06/2015 09:35, Josten, Michael wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I did a fresh rancid 3.2 install on a test machine before upgrading our
> productive system from 2.3.8 to 3.2.
> We use many Brocade switches ( FCX, ICX, MLX, RX, SX Series ) and some
> ProCurves. I already read through the mailing list
> to find someone with similar problems and NO, my router.db file doesn’t
> contain “:” as separator :P
> OS is Ubuntu 14.04. Rancid compiled with default options. Logfile says
> sth. like this

> Trying to get all of the configs.
>
> mlxkr01: missed cmd(s): all commands
>
> mlxkr01 flogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
>
> mlxkr01: End of run not found
>
> !
>
> =====================================
>
> Getting missed routers: round 1.
>
> mlxkr01: missed cmd(s): all commands
>
> mlxkr01 flogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
>
> mlxkr01: End of run not found
>
> !
>
> =====================================
>
> Getting missed routers: round 2.
>
> mlxkr01: missed cmd(s): all commands
>
> mlxkr01 flogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
>
> mlxkr01: End of run not found

> Clogin works on all devices.
> flogin also works, BUT when I try to send a command while being logged
> in with flogin the dreadfull “TIMEOUT reached” occurs
> which doesn’t happen when I am logged in via clogin.
>

> Files and folders should all have correct rights and flags

Michael,

"dreadful" is the right word :-)

All the errors you post are rancid-speak for "something went wrong", but
the code is in no position to give you any clues. First:

did the faulty devices work OK on 2.3.8?
are the problem devices all of one type? (i.e. something like all your
Ciscos still work great, but all the HPs now fail, or similar?)

You probably need to run the *rancid scripts individually on each device
using the -d debug flag, then go through the output line by line seeing
exactly where it went wrong. Considering how kit works and what rancid
has to do to get the job done, there's a huge numnber of places where
the process can bork.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com