[rancid] RANCID - Password Error using Telnet on Cisco Switch

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 17:14:16 UTC 2016

On 12/20/16, John Heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:
> Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:58:59AM -0500, Lee:
>> > Maybe the escaping isnt necessary for !, but it shouldnt hurt. I think i
>> > put
>> > a list in the manpage.
>>
>> man cloginrc only mentions space & left/right squiggly brackets
>
> it says "or special character" :)  the interpretter reads the file as if it
> were a script and *login use the value in send and join.

Are you going from memory or an actual man page?  man cloginrc for
rancid 3.6.1 has
  ... always enclose the values in braces.  If a value includes a
(left or right) brace or space character, it must be backslash-escaped
which, at least to me, implies the only thing one has to worry about
if the value is inside {} are those three characters.

In any case, on a related note - how hard would it be to have
something like the clogin -x option that treats the input file as
straight text with no meta-chars?   Using rancid for things like
setting the banner, snmp community string, etc. is a pain.  I'd much
prefer not having to figure out what all had to be escaped.

Thanks,
Lee