[rancid] Up-to-date check failed

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Jan 20 17:57:43 UTC 2016

Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:00:19AM +0300, Андрей Фомин:
> cvs diff: Diffing configs
> cvs diff: configs/10.0.1.249 was removed, no comparison available

this file apparently was not added properly or something similar.  easiest
fix is remove/comment it from router.db, run rancid-run, replace it in
router.db.

> cvs commit: Up-to-date check failed for `configs/10.0.X.Y'
> cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

this can occur if cvs is interrupted.  as the rancid user, run cvs update in
that group directory.  you may need to rm the file and run re-run the cvs
update.  rancid does not do an update because we feel that this is an
error situation where either someone externally modified the file or cvs
crashed.

> PS: is there any RANCID-book or something? I only find documents which i
> can describe as "deploying guides", but this doesn't give any information
> about how it actually works (let's call it 'mehanics of rancid'). Or i need
> to read for ex. O'reilly's "Essential CVS" and couple of other books? Need
> your advice about this. I feel frustrated about rancid and need to cope
> with it in some better way than now.

both a cvs problems - with some rancid knowledge required, i suppose.  there
is a FAQ that comes with rancid and is available on the website.