[rancid] router.db and up/down notifications

Sean spedersen.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:20:07 UTC 2016

It’s actually started to send down notifications again. The replaced device generated an SSH key mismatch, which caused it to become unreachable from rancid’s perspective. Had to clear known_hosts.

Must have been a timing issue originally.

On 9/14/16, 2:37 AM, "Rancid-discuss on behalf of Alan McKinnon" <rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net on behalf of alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

    On 14/09/2016 01:54, Sean wrote:
    > I'm curious about the default behavior/relationship between router.db
    > and routers.down.
    >

    > I have rancid integrated with Observium, which auto-generates router.db
    > once an hour based on the status of each device. If a router is down in
    > Observium, it will modify router.db and mark it 'down'. rancid-run is
    > configured to run five minutes later.

    router.db is in cvs IIRC. Does your data push from observium do a commit?

    > In this case, would rancid send an “unreachable” e-mail the next time
    > it’s run? When they switched from "up" to "down" in router.db, I didn't
    > receive an "unreachable" e-mail. When they were fixed and returned to
    > "up," I received a "routers changed to up" email. This is the first time
    > such a transition has taken place, i.e. first time any devices have been
    > unreachable for any period of time since rancid was first run.
    >

    > What sort of behavior should I expect in this case? Might have just been
    > timing, but I’d like to be sure. Searches have come up with little to go
    > on other than formatting and the like.
    >

    > I have another rancid installation that sends both up and down
    > notifications, but it's a stand-alone install without any automated
    > router.db generation. I don't see any major differences in
    > configuration, cron jobs, etc. other than who/what generates router.db.
    >

    > P.S. Right list this time.

    Alan McKinnon
    alan.mckinnon at gmail.com