[rancid] router.db and up/down notifications

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Sep 14 23:37:55 UTC 2016

Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 04:54:30PM -0700, Sean:
> I'm curious about the default behavior/relationship between router.db and routers.down.

routers.down is solely for keeping track of what was 'down' in router.db.

> I have rancid integrated with Observium, which auto-generates router.db once an hour based on the status of each device. If a router is down in Observium, it will modify router.db and mark it 'down'. rancid-run is configured to run five minutes later.
>
> In this case, would rancid send an “unreachable” e-mail the next time it’s run? When they switched from "up" to "down" in router.db, I didn't receive an "unreachable" e-mail. When they were fixed and returned to "up," I received a "routers changed to up" email. This is the first time such a transition has taken place, i.e. first time any devices have been unreachable for any period of time since rancid was first run.

yes, thats right.  if its 'down', rancid will not attempt contact it and
there will be no 'not reached' email.

i wouldnt expect a device to be allowed to remain down for too long.  maybe
don't change it to 'down' and adjust OLDTIME and MAX_ROUNDS in rancid.conf
to achieve a goal of not complaining too much about 'not reachable', not
having a up/down email and not wasting too much time collecting devices that
are down.