[rancid] Rancid CVS issue

Doug Hughes doug.hughes at keystonenap.com
Tue Jun 27 15:00:58 UTC 2017

rancid doesn't make a log entry if there are no changes to the device,
unless there is an error. The log files are there to record errors and
anomalies, not success.

It is true with cvs, svn, git, etc. that if there are no changes, then
there will be no commit into the version control. This is by design and
a good thing! It means you only get emails (if you enable them) when
there's a change, it also means that if you setup a websvn or webcvs
viewer, the choices for the device will only be for when there are new
changes made and you can see exactly what changed in the diffs and when
they happened.