[rancid] Howto setup Rancid with Git on Debian?

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Jan 11 17:53:00 UTC 2018

Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 03:20:20PM +0000, Gauthier, Chris:
> As for the Git part, rancid uses a local git server that it creates the folder structure for.  Each rancid group is its gets own Git repo.  The key is really the rancid config file.  Set RCSSYS=”git” and it will do the heavy lifting.  If you need the stuff to go to a remote repo, then you will need to make the local Git do blind commits to the remote repo.  That’s something one of my server admins took care of, so I’m not sure exactly how he did it.

Add a remote to a given rancid group: https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-remote/
add to the rancid-run cronjob, a 'git push newremote'

	cd ~rancid/group
	git remote add foo giturl
	... rancid-run; cd ~rancid/group; git push foo

add a second push destination (remote should not require auth) to origin
and rancid will push to it each run.
	cd ~rancid/group
	git remote add foo giturl
	git remote set-url --add --push origin `git remote get-url --push origin`
	git remote set-url --add --push origin `git remote get-url --push foo`