[rancid] Cisco devices and calculating percent free

Emille Blanc emille at abccommunications.com
Fri Nov 13 16:27:02 UTC 2020

> ASR920, with churn of whatever in bootflash:/tracelogs

I've been through the ringer on this one (about this time last year, in fact).
If you dig even deeper, it seems to be attached to the cylon_mgr process, which presumably ties to the chipset.
In our environment, busier boxes have greater churn (in the 100's of MBytes/day).
Our patch around this (pre RANCID v3.10) was not to ignore the disk space, but rather impose an upper ceiling for our ASR920's.
Eg;
- !Flash: bootflash: 1339412480 bytes total (470 MB free)
+ !Flash: bootflash: 1339412480 bytes total (>300 MB free)

This way, we still get insight into run-away processes that suddenly burn through the box' flash:, and it adequately stops the noise.
Since upgrading 3.10, it has been less frequent, so we never re-patched.

But can confirm, out of all our devices, it's only the ASR920's that exhibit this behavior in our environment.
ASR901's, 1000's seem fine.

Food for further thought.