[rancid] change rancid.conf config setting once a week

Chris Wopat me at falz.net
Fri Dec 3 14:13:22 UTC 2021

Hi folks,

We run rancid hourly. Some devices (fortigate) have what i consider a
bug where every time you display the config, it encrypts the passwords
differently. We have this filtered with `FILTER_OSC=ALL; export
FILTER_OSC` in rancid.conf. Without this, there would be a diff every
time it runs.

On a less frequent schedule, we would like to capture these passwords,
perhaps weekly. I'm thinking we could set up a 2nd cronjob for this
but with `FILTER_OSC=NO`.

Is there any way to pass these config settings to this separate cron
entry without modifying rancid.conf? The config file looks to be
setting environment variables but I'm unsure if a local environment
variable would override rancid.conf's settings.

Cheers,
--Chris