[tac_plus] PAM authentication and default user

Henry-Nicolas Tourneur henry.nicolas at tourneur.be
Fri Feb 12 10:30:10 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

In some cases, the PAM user won't be present in /etc/passwd (eg. pam LDAP
backend).

The current comportment of Tacacs+ is to check for the username in its
configuration file.

If it doesn't exist but that there is a DEFAULT user, the username is
replaced by DEFAULT, therefore it won't work with PAM.

What would be really very nice :

Don't change the username to default if you see that the login method is
PAM. That will allow the tacacs daemon to authenticate against remote server
like LDAP (in such a case, the login information may not be present on the
tacacs running server). It might be easy to patch the do_author.c file at
line 86 but I guess it won't be enough or maybe we will need to do something
in other parts of the daemon (like hash ?).

The general picture would be :

1. Auth request with user name = xxy

2. I got no user name xxy in my tacacs conf but a DEFAULT user exist

3. The default user does authenticate against PAM, I won't change the
username

4. Authenticate against PAM with username = xxy and return the result.

If any tacacs+ hacker wants to implement this, it would be fabulous :)

Please also note that I'm currently trying to get the Tacacs+ daemon to be
shipped with Debian.

It has been uploaded and is waiting for ftp masters approval :

http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/tacacs+_4.0.4.19-2.html

Regards,