[tac_plus] Mailing list and Syslog question

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu May 5 22:26:01 UTC 2011

Apparently, though unproven, at 23:34 on Thursday 05 May 2011, Jathan McCollum
did opine thusly:

> If the syslog patch was implemented exactly as Mark's original patch, the
> syntax in your tac_plus.conf is like so:
>
> accounting syslog
> logging = local6

But that's ambiguous and the documentation is even less clear.

tac_plus logs by default are sent to syslog with facility=daemon.
The logging directive changes that, but it only makes sense in the context of
daemon logs.

man tac_plus.conf for 4.0.4.19 states:

   accounting
      Only one configurable account parameter exists, the destination.  All
      accounting records are either written to a file, syslog(3) at priority
      info, or both.

         accounting syslog;
         accounting file = <filename>

It says nothing about the facility used for accounting logs, it's very
obviously omitted. It makes no sense to use the same facility as daemon logs,
syslog cannot tell them apart and both type of logs get all jumbled up.

So it looks to me that the syslog feature is a good start, but incomplete.

Unless the default really is local6 for accounting logs, but that is
documented nowhere.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com