[tac_plus] No User prompt

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Dec 11 22:33:50 UTC 2012

Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 03:15:04PM -0500, Asif Iqbal:
> I see intermittent login issue to the routers. Sometime get no login prompt
> and
> jump straight to Password: prompt. My guess is tacacs+ daemon gets
> overloaded
> and router fails to get a response from  to tacacs+ daemon.

> Any suggestion on how to verify if it is hitting resource limitation?

the daemon is single threaded, so unless it exceeds the number of processes
or other limits placed on it, it will just spawn a separate process to handle
the auth/author.

if you have only a password prompt, i'd guess access to the tacacs server is
failing and you have no local users configured on the device to handle the
auth after tacacs, so you receive just a password prompt from the vty.

check router configs, enable tacacs debugging, see logs on the tacacs server.