[tac_plus] multiple groups per user

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:55:12 UTC 2013

On 14/03/2013 22:29, Daniel Schmidt wrote:
> Checkout do_auth.py.  Several people have reported it to be very useful.
> I've been meaning to do some more work on it and Jathan had some excellent
> ideas.
>
> tacacs.org

Hear, hear.

Tom, go with Daniel's code. It's the correct approach.

tac_plus.conf is very simplistic and for good reason. There is a patche
around that supports multiple groups but AFAIK the patch was never merged.

Usually with multiple groups one wants to define commands that can be
run, and usually they are additive. But you want to separate behaviours
of different device types, that's different. No matter how you separate
it out, tac_plus is still going to try combine directives from both
groups into one big one, so you might as well define one big group in
the file anyway. I assume you tried that and found it doesn't work well.

I tried that with Junipers; regular IOS was OK with it but it broke the
GSRs. We fixed that with optional AV pairs but when we deployed Nexus...
let's just say I deployed a second tacacs system instead.

do_auth.py has enough information when called that you can make these
decisions dynamically and always do the right thing. tac_plus.conf has
to have it defined statically and can't do the right thing.