[tac_plus] accounting & syslog

Aaron Wasserott aaron.wasserott at viawest.com
Tue Feb 18 03:45:28 UTC 2014

Yes, you would need a syslog daemon on your tacacs server that can send syslog messages over the network. Your local tac_plus daemon would use the local syslog instance, and in your syslog config you would configure the local and export parameters - so you can keep local accounting records as well as send to your syslog server. Then other log-monitored daemons would work the same way, they route locally to syslog, syslog sends to local file and across the network to a remote log host.

Not sure what flavor of Linux you are running, but the common rsyslog daemon supports remote logging.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch05_:_Troubleshooting_Linux_with_syslog#.UwLW3LSSpww

Cheers,