[tac_plus] Need help to authenticate to SSH

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Feb 1 22:21:07 UTC 2016

Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 06:18:54PM +0000, Darren Share:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to put myself through a crash course with tac_plus to
> assist a customer. We sell an NTP server which supports TACACS+ for
> authentication. The server has a web interface (port 80) and and SSH interface
> (port 22). A relatively default tac_plus installation on a debian server is
> allowing us to log in to the web interface but the SSH login (with the same
> user) is getting rejected. According to the manufacturuer the SSH login is not
> supported with TACACS+ but I'm convinced it should be able to work as I can see
> the NTP server is sending requests to the TACACS+ server when we attempt to log
> in.
>
> I've attached the current tac_plus.conf that works with the web login (user
> "support" is an existing user on the debian system).
>
> If I enable debugging on tac_plus (tac_plus -C /etc/tacacs+/tac_plus.conf  -g
> -d 256) with a successful web login I get the attached web.txt and with a
> failed ssh login I get the attached ssh.txt.
>
> The main difference I can see being the "port: unknown" and "port: ssh". I feel
> like there should be something I can set in tac_plus.conf to enable this. I've
> tried this with no joy:

still mangled :)  but, i'll try.

I presume the first is the web login.  in the second, the daemon receives
"<BS><NL>" for the password.  I presume this is not the password as it doesnt
match the first attachment.  So, it appears that what your client is sending
is wrong.

as for the port; the port is port on a NAS, not the tcp port.  I'm not sure
that the port is used, except to differentiate sessions, though an external
authorization script might use it.