catos on cat5500 issues

Jason Ornstein jason.ornstein at sybase.com
Thu Feb 26 23:34:16 UTC 2004

* Yuval Ben-Ari <yuvalba at netvision.net.il> [2004-02-20 22:42:36 +0200]:

> a late reply to this discussion.
>
> I already reported the missing "set logging session disable\r" while
> clogin is in 'run_commands' mode (-c) but could not find where it was
> missing. Just now added it to run_commands as well, I do see one minor
> things now if I run clogin -c to cat5500 switch it will send the command
> twice, this is output from clogin -c 'sh alias' cat55:
>
> cat55-u-a> (enable)
> cat55-u-a> (enable) set length 0
> Screen length for this session set to 0.
> cat55-u-a> (enable) set logging session disable
> System logging messages will not be sent to the current login session.
> cat55-u-a> (enable)  set logging session disable
> System logging messages will not be sent to the current login session.
> cat55-u-a> (enable)sh alias
> No command aliases configured.
> cat55-u-a> (enable) exit
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Any idea why it is being sent twice ? (before I added it to run_commands
> it would not be sent at all)

I don't know why it is doing this either, but I see the exact same thing
and it causes the collection of the config files to fail.

I don't see how a second 'send' command in an if statement would cause
the commands to be sent twice.

I don't know very much expect, so I haven't tried to debug this in
depth.

> Regarding the spanning tree changes.
> I was having similar problem with constant "set spantree portvlancost"
> config changes.
> I had to filter on cat5rancind by adding following line inside sub
> WriteTerm:
>         /^set spantree portvlancost/ && next;

I think that I'll give this a try.

> In any case I don't think you want to disable spanning tree anywhere.
> It is there to protect the network from loops.
> What if someone in your network will manage to loop 2 ports ?  if stp
> will be off it could melt down the network.
> The real problem is why port cost config keeps changing when ports go
> down and up which should probably be a question to Cisco.

Agreed.  It might be version of code or platform.  I'll investigate
this.

-jason