[rancid] Re: Question and potential feature request

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Fri Mar 7 02:45:03 UTC 2008

Matthew Twomey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been a long time user of Rancid and I've always thought it was a
> fantastic tool. Recently I've been revamping our backups and that has gotten
> me to thinking about a couple of things:
>
> 1. We backup literally hundred of devices with Rancid and due to
> inconsistency across Cisco IOS releases we are struggling to keep ahead of
> the curve when it comes to specifying autoenable 1 or autoenable 0. I don't
> always manage the routers I backup, so an updated IOS often reverses this
> requirement (e.g. used to work with autoenable on and now it needs it off).
> This also often happens when router administrators enable/disable/make
> certain changes to tacacs. In any event I'm wondering if anyone has thought
> of a way to autodetect the autoenable state of a device?

This might be nice for me too.  I'm bringing up a rancid install for the
first time and I was banging my head on the wall today because I can't
figure out any way to get my ASAs to log directly into enable mode like
I do on the IOS boxes using a TACACS server.  Obviously I could manually
specify autoenable 0 for the ASAs, but this would be a cool feature.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network/Security/Linux/Perl Geek
"If you want to be somebody else, change your mind."  -Sister Hazel