[rancid] RANCID to monitor files on Linux?

Ron Whitney ron.whitney at doitbest.com
Fri Jun 26 14:59:26 UTC 2009

Please forgive if I'm missing something obvious.  I did a little
research on this but didn't come up with much so I thought I'd ask the
group.

Has anyone used RANCID to monitor config files on a Linux host?  To my
way of thinking, it should be fairly easy to do.  Telnet/SSH in, 'cat'
the file(s), log out.  I was thinking that it would be great to use
RANCID to monitor DNS zones, sendmail.cf, httpd.conf and similar files
to track changes others might be making.  Perhaps coding for the various
prompts returned by the different flavors of Linux would be a bit of a
challenge.  Thoughts?

Ron