[rancid] Removal of a Device Group

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Aug 17 16:19:28 UTC 2022

Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 03:55:36PM +0000, Piegorsch, Weylin William:
> I have three groups that I want to remove from RANCiD (version 3.4) w/ CVS.  I've seen previous posts about *completely* removing groups, but I'd like to keep the attic.
> - one group is depopulated (that is, nothing in router.db)
> - two groups still have devices that are still on my network but are no longer backup-able (Cisco autonomous AP converted to Ubiquity NanoBeam M5's and BridgeWave BW64's)
>
> Is there an appropriate way to moving things into Attic so that the web GUI still sees the devices?  I'm ambivalent about keeping devices in their original group. I don't have an "archived / retired / don't update" group.
>
> I know I can remove CRON jobs and remove from LIST_OF_GROUPS, I'm wondering if updating those is enough or if I should do more.

hey, if you remove the devices from the router.db, rancid will remove them
from cvs; that cvs operation will migrate to the attic.  Then, the group
directory can be removed; the web interface should point to the CVS repo,
so it should continue to see all the current and historical data.

fwiw, I backup a ubnt USG (device type edgerouter).  I have not tried this
for ubnt APs, but this might work for your ubnt products.

prost